It’s tempting to hibernate indoors as temperatures drop, but neglecting your physical health during winter can negatively affect your overall wellbeing.
We chatted with the fitness instructor at the Impaq Online School, Daphne Jacobs, to learn more about the benefits of online fitness classes and how to combat the winter woes with regular exercise.
Benefits of bracing the cold
There are numerous benefits to bracing the cold and being active this winter. Daphne emphasises a few reasons why staying in shape is good for your health:
- It improves brain health and reduces the risk of diseases.
- It strengthens bones and muscles, improving your ability to complete day-to-day activities.
- It improves mental health.
- It improves sleep quality.
- It improves muscle strength and balance.
- It helps you manage and maintain your ideal weight.
Virtual fitness at the Impaq Online School
It’s easy to stay fit as a fiddle at the Impaq Online School, with a virtual 30-minute fitness session each week. According to Daphne, this is the coolest class on the timetable. In each session, learners are motivated to get excited about being active.
The key focus is on making everyone feel welcome. “We use different approaches to classes to cater for all fitness levels,” Daphne explains. Classes include a mix of:
- HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training),
- strength, and
Learners work at their own pace and are encouraged to inform Daphne if they have any injuries or restrictions. She will then provide alternative exercises to ensure that the activities are accessible to all learners. Learners also don’t need fancy gym equipment to increase their heart rate! The classes make use of household items to make fitness possible for everyone.
During each fitness session, learners switch their cameras on. “This ensures that I can correct posture and technique live while we complete an exercise,” Daphne explains. The classes are interactive, and learners can ask questions during the sessions to better understand each exercise. Each movement is described and demonstrated to ensure learners know how to complete an activity and to help prevent injuries from occurring.
Daphne maintains that online classes can be just as beneficial as in-person classes. “What you put in is what you get out,” she says, adding that if learners participate and work hard, they will feel a difference in their bodies.
Becoming a winter warrior
Daphne gives her top tips on staying active in the cold and becoming a winter warrior:
- Plan daily aerobic exercises like brisk walks or jogs amidst the crisp winter air if the weather allows.
- Do a stretch routine every morning, which will help you relax and set the tone for the day.
- Grab a skipping rope and do interval training with bodyweight exercises in between, such as push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups (if possible).
- If you are a registered Impaq Online School learner, continue with the online sessions, especially during the examination period.
- When in doubt, put on your favourite song and dance like nobody is watching!
Also read: 10 Habits for a Successful Learning Journey